On Friday, December 11, 2020 the Greater Asheville Regional Airport Authority (GARAA) awarded Hensel Phelps the CM-at-Risk Terminal Modernization project at the Asheville Regional Airport in Asheville, North Carolina. The CM-at-Risk project will expand and modernize the existing single story, seven gate terminal building to a two-story building with a minimum of 12 gates. The overall size of the structure will be expanded from approximately 115,000 SF to 275,000 SF.
The project will also include:
- An all new security screening checkpoint to allow for future growth and adaptability to evolving security needs.
- A right sized ticket lobby providing space to accommodate new carriers while recognizing the emerging technology and check-in procedures.
- An enhanced curbside and entrance facade that becomes a part of the integrated overall aesthetic to the site.
- A new baggage claim hall sized to meet the intended fleet mix and provide the necessary airline and airport support space.
- The consolidation of a checked baggage inspection system with supporting baggage makeup areas for outbound baggage.
- A new Central Energy Plant located on site to support the growing infrastructure needs while providing expandability and redundancy.
- A new second level boarding concourse with expanded hold rooms supporting the projected fleet mix and new amenities such as: expanded concessions, common use club, expanded restrooms and new passenger boarding bridges.
- A loading dock is proposed to support the dry and cold goods for concessionaires along with other sort of airport delivery supplemented by additional storage spaces.
- Other features determined necessary through a collaborative design effort.